Sunday, March 12, 2006

Something I've realized lately. This is may not be profound for you, this may not even be of interest, but its something i've learned abour myself recently, and something and possible something that someone out there on the world wide web my appretiate, so it will be written. I am realized that I'm really not girly. I do have girly traits.. and do girly things, but i am not, and will never be girly. Okay so i'll define girly.. in my opinion:
  • Girly is someone who in the morning does, and makeup before going out anywhere,
  • girly is someone who has way too many clothes, and who cares desperately about what she looks like,
  • girly is someone, who when wearing a skirt can sit properly, and someone who can wear high heels.
  • Girly is someone who puts on make up and keeps it just right all day.
  • Girly is someone who looks at fashion magazines to get the latest tips and styles.
  • Girly is someone who goes once a month and get her hair done at a salon and gets it streeked.
  • Girly is always beautiful physically.
  • Girly is someone who knows exactly what to wear with what, and someone who loves to go shopping to get the acquired look.
  • Girly is someone who always has a nice golden skin colour
I am none of those things.
  • I get up at 6 and am out the door at 6 15. no time for hair and make-up.
  • i don't have that many clothes. I think i do have more then i need.. and will probably get rid of some very soon because i just said that.
  • I really don't care that much about what i look like... i mean my hair is in knots... enough said.
  • when i wear a skirt i always need to wear shorts underneath because i never ever sit nicely or "lady-like". and sometimes have the urge to climb a tree.....
  • I occasionally will put on some eye make-up but always end up smudging it all over my eyes.. i dont' know how it happens.. i just know that every time it does.
  • I never look at a fashion magazine or a makeup magazine.... i did once and i think i'm going to sew a dress that i found in it... but then i ripped the page from the magazine and quickly threw out the magazine.
  • i don't get my hair streeked.. my hair is in knots... enough said
  • i have the palest of pale skin.
  • oh and another one of me not being a girl. i very much dislike shaving my legs. Last June (24) the day before my friends wedding i shaved my legs and then didn't until a couple of weeks ago.. i just find it ridiculous that someone out there one day decided it was disgusting for women to have hair on their legs, and every women just accepted it as true without questioning. I mean.. think for yourselves ladies. if you dont' want to, don't do it.
So that pretty much sums it up. I'm not that girly.. i am a girl. I do want to be loved, i do want to be beautiful, but a different kind of beauty, a beauty that comes from a closeness with God. I do want to be desired, and sought after, but not for my looks, for my heart and for my mind. Those are the things that will not lose value through time. But i do want to be able to climb a tree in a skirt... and knot my hair... enough said

8 comments:

crooked girl said...

yay for non-girly girls! i too:

- do not wear make up. besides the occassional chapsticking. i have tried mascara but i forget i have it on and then rub my eyes. haha.
- do not shave my legs often enough to say that i ever do. probably less than 10 times in my whole life time. i find the custom silly. i don't shave my arm pits either.
- never look at fashion mags unless i am at the dentist and there is nothing else to read. in which case i look for the occasional embarassing story articles :P
- don't wear skirts shorter than my knees. i like the freedom that skirts can provide but by no means wear them to look a certain way (show off my legs or look attainable...blah blah)

and i too have more clothing than i need (my misgiving in this area) but enjoy coming up with my own random style. i like wearing bright colours and non-labels. like friend's designs...wink wink...nudge nudge :)

i wrote way too much but i love this entry. we need a non-girly girls club!

<3

.reva. said...

HECK YES!!
before going out for dinner, i had to wait while the girls did their makeup and got all dressed. i wore what i had been wearing all day. and went *gasp!* with NO makeup. oh dear. the girls here also think that it's "not right how greasy you let your hair get reva", and i just reply with, "oh well. deal with it, cause i don't feel like washing it right now."
oh how i wish that it were stil 'in knots' as you call it. DREADS cait.. accept it. hahah!
i agree with you about the girly thing...i don't want to be either. although i do think that i'm girly than you. but you probably don't care. i don't really care either.
I AM ME.. and if you don't like it.. I DO NOT CARE!!

this girl, sabrina ward harrison once wrote this amazing book called spilling open, and inside on one of the pages she wrote "i'm afraid to show you who i really am, because if i show you who i really am, you might not like it, and that's all i've got"... i sometimes think that way too, but i've also come to the point where i just want to flip those people off, the ones that care so much.. cause maybe i don't want them to like me, if they're not going to like the real me.
who cares if we're all a little girly. ugh. LABELS! why must we always categorize ourselves. sometimes i hate this friggen species!
let's just move to new zealand be penguins. they're always cute, and don't have to worry about shaving anything. or washing their hair.
i love you.
love reva

crooked girl said...

ooh. i forgot the greasy hair thing. my roomate showers and bathes at least once a day (half the time she does it twice a day). sometimes i let my hair go a while in between washing. but why should i care? who's look at my hair anyway? my roomate wastes so much time getting ready for things. before going out anywhere, she'll shower, then blow dry her hair, then apply make up, then spend an hour putting together outfits - trying 2-4 before she settles on one.

GAH!

new zealand sound like fun, reva.

Caitlin Noelle Wood said...

i don't think there is anything wrong... i mean. well. no thats not true. to be super girly i think there is something wrong with it... i think they are a little caught up in the fakeness of it all.. but..i can't hold people to my standards and my morals, so get all purdied up.... just don't expect me to.

Unknown said...

Why is it that in order to be girly, you have to make all these "unnatural" alterations on yourself but to be manly you do nothing, never shave, live in the desert eating bugs, carry an axe around, don't bathe, lift rocks for entertainment. So if I practice good hygeine(sp)and shave and stuff, do I become girly??? Weird.
One last thing that I may get shot over but who cares. BRING IT ON!
Smooth legs are better. Purely my opinion.... :)

Caitlin Noelle Wood said...

and thats fine to have your opinion, but remember it is that. merely YOUR opinion... and okay.. i'm not so stuck on it... i mean.. for me personally, if my husband preferred shaved legs then i would shave them.. and i wouldn't do it bitterly.. i just don't think right now, i really have a reason to do it.... thats it.

crooked girl said...

but grizzly legs provide warmth in the winter!

if i was with someone that preferred smooth legs...i'd just wax them. shaving is too tedious. and i'm just too lazy to do that kind of upkeep.

but ben your description of a manly man had me laughing so hard

XD

sometimes i write better than i speak, my friends said...

yo, i am some of those things..i just do it in a rad way, and blam! problem solved. some days i like being a girl, but most days i like to climbr trees and stare up at the stars. Grass is sweet, it i got no shoes! I love being this kinda girl! I love the inspiration and joy of being myself, all the girls we hang out with give me. The most beautiful women i know...including dawna! lol. Beauty is so much more than boobs, and lipstick....

dont forget..