Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Becoming Disciples

"anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." Matthew 10:37

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life, will lose it, but whoever loses it will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." Mark 8:34-38

Where did we get the idea that this would be easy. When did it come into our heads to make Christianity safe. There is nothing safe about these versus. To leave behind what we know and accept something in faith. Not easy, but glorious. Do you think its a coincidence that of the 12 disciples all, with the possible exception of one, died early, all were martyred. I dont' think so. I think we're called to give up our lives for Christ. That is what becoming disciples means.

1 comment:

Aaron Isaiah Huizenga said...

Easy? no, i don't think so. Costly? Only to our sinful nature. The gloriousness is our spirits alive.