Saturday, April 01, 2006

Fancy blue dress

I got this dress in a downtown thrift store, and i really like it. I need to make a few adjustments, and have already began. I love the thought of altering. To take something thrown away, disregarded, left for trash (and possibly resold), and to find potential, make a few adjustments, a few alterations to make myself the fancy blue dress.
It excites me to think that this dress is from the 70's for thats what the tag said. What was the former owner of this dress like? What did she love and what did she hate. But more importantly, what did she do when wearing this dress? Maybe she had her first kiss, maybe she was dumped for the first time. Maybe the first time she wore this dress she gathered up enough courage to sing infront of a crowd with such passion, and energy that she left the whole crowd speechless. Maybe she attended her prom in this dress, and felt for the first time she was a woman. Maybe she bought the dress for her prom but was never asked, so it hung quietly in her closet. Maybe the first night she wore this dress she fell head over heels in love with a boy who said she looked like an angel. Maybe this dress has a bigger story then i could imagine, or maybe i'm giving this dress way too much recognition. Maybe it was just a dress like every other dress. But i'd rather think it had an extravagant life before reaching me.

3 comments:

crooked girl said...

i love wondering about the past lives of my second (or third) hand clothing.

but i am glad you bought this dress. it looked so amazing when you tried it on! absolutely stunning :)

.reva. said...

i'm also glad that you bought this dress.
i like how you think caitlin. and this post was beautiful.
frig. i can't wait until summer. we can get dressed up in our new fancy dresses and party like no other.
i'm coming home in one week. pretty much for good.
i'm so stoked.


and i have friggen big news!!
i love you!

Beth said...

I luv this post because I always find myself wondering about the stories of old treasures I find..I luv walking through an antique store imagining the child that played with that worn out doll, or the little boy who first eagerly opened his book on planes and flight...intriguing how one's trash contains so much past and history..sometimes I wish they could speak..if only we were willing to give them a voice..