Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Do you remember?

sometimes i have a difficult time letting go. Letting go of a time that was so magical that sometimes when i think back, its hard to believe it really existed. With music, dancing, campfires, roadtrips, dreams shared, passions explored, memories made. So many memories i have to really check and think, did that really happen? They're so story book like, so fantasy-like, so amazing. its hard because at times i dont' want to admit those times are different. They've changed, now we're a little more mature with a few more pressures, and we're all a little more spread out... but do you guys remember...
  • the times at youth, that we would sing until our lungs hurt, that we would scream "Our GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD."
  • the times we would just end up in prayer because the things around us were too difficult to handle,
  • do you remember the time we went for a night time walk" by the healey's old place, only to be surprised by christian and sterling who ran by and through a match in an already prepared firepit, only to have the whole thing explode into a beautiful bonfire, and a great night.
  • Do you remember when we went on that random trip to and around barrie, and slept in that farmers field, and went to the waterfalls, and phil randomly broke into song at the icecream parlour in washago... do you guys remember?
  • Do you remember the photoshoots, the shows, the dance parties, the laughter, the jokes, the tears, and sorrow that we shared. do you remember?
Because i hope never forget. I do want to move on.. in pieces. But you guys are my family, bound more tightly than passing friends, and i love every one of you so much. You are my brothers and my sisters. And i can't wait to hang out with you again.

6 comments:

.reva. said...

oh cait.. this almost made me cry.
i miss this fairy tale so much.
so much.
you have no idea.
i long for this kind of relationship with people in guelph, but i know that it will probably never happen.
i will cherish this group so much, even if we may drift apart a little over time. even if we have already started doing so.
man... now i have to go wrtie a midterm, and all i'm going to be able to think about are the good times....
i'll take those good times over school any day..

remember when we wanted to start our own commune?
think that it'll ever happen?

Aaron Isaiah Huizenga said...

yeah. i hope dan sees this post too, because i think he wrote a theme song. those times were filled so much beauty. there was the action summer when the winking circle was just rolling, filling the days with events, between going to church, cornerstone festival, and jpusa. rock on. yet, i'm happier with who i am now. vancouver seems like a cold place too, especially compared to uxbridge. i have to fight hard not to become a bitter cynic, with God's grace there is much more to see.

i don't think the fire is lost. i've been less present, even when i am home, but you all are still brothers and sisters to me.

my life is so blessed because my friends in uxbridge, but even now, every day can be beautiful.

ruthi said...

that did almost make me cry
(to copy reva...)
and i think of that often
and i so many times am sentimental
and maybe get accused of living in the past.
but i think it is so important to remember and to cherish (no, not the band... well, and the band)...
and things are different now.
and we have changed.

and sometimes i get sad b/c of it.
other times, i look around and am so amazed and blessed that we are all still so much together.

the other weekend at the ottenhofs
(of course at the ottenhofs)
i was overwhelmed with how much it felt like a family gathering.
so much so that couldn't resist the urge to film it on esther's camera - just panned around the kitchen, at the many conversations, jokes, and stories that were being shared.
it warmed my heart.

and i feel the cynical pull. and succumb more often than not... but remembering and moving on are intertwined...

those were good times.
but we have grown together.
and i cherish it... always will.

Daniel said...

This is the first time I have ever written a comment, and its funny that I am writing because I usually don’t like posts like this because they seem to focus too much on the past. In the process they suggest that the peak of my life (of our lives) has past and it is all going down hill from here. I know that is not what was meant by the post but when one dwells on the past so long it can make the future less exciting. With that being said, I admit that I do long for simplicity sometimes, I have been feeling quite jaded and am often discouraged with what I am learning. I am currently working at the UNHCR and one of my main tasks is to be up to date on all the human rights reports of some of the West African countries. This is not uplifting work, especially when I want to keep it real and not let the words distance me much from the reality. This however, can be quite depressing, as you all know. But I have come to believe that a much deeper appreciation for life can be found when one learns to face reality, in all of its pain and hardships, and find the light that somehow always exists. Besides, I think I would be quite bored if I was doing today what I was doing 4 years ago; high school and cutting grass really isn’t that exciting.

I don’t mean to be such a dude by quoting myself, but because Aaron said I wrote a theme song for those times I am going to follow-up with a line I wrote in the beginning of the transition from then to now, “Its not just about us anymore”. I miss you guys like hell, and have learned to wait for heaven. Isn’t that our purpose here, to live it out, work our asses off, and wait for paradise? Keep searching for peace, Daniel.

Daniel said...

I have to admit, this post really made me smile. I look forward to the summer....

hannah hilary said...

I can't describe you people to anyone.
No one can sit still long enough.
No one can dilate their pupils large enough.
And most of you I've only seen once in the past two years.
Thank God the crazy boy that I fell in love with at the winking circle also fell in love with me sometime later.
Otherwise who would I reminisce with?
I miss you, but I don't even know most of you anymore.
That doesn't matter though,
what matters is...that you somehow still know He Who Makes Us Good.